CDL Job Opening: UC3 Senior Software Developer
The UC Curation Center (UC3) at the California Digital Library is recruiting for a Senior Software developer. This is a technical lead position that will be responsible for the thought leadership, technical architecture, operations, and development across the UC3 services in preservation, data publication, and research data management initiatives. We are seeking an experienced developer who is interested in defining the future of our digital preservation repository (Merritt) while maintaining our current system. Merritt provides storage and preservations features for many library and archival projects across the University of California.
- Lead development of an integrated digital repository service
- Be an individual contributor with a team oriented mindset to share information, process, and liaison with the technical leads and product managers of all the UC3 services
- Design, build, and maintain complex systems that interface with UC librarians, researchers, researchers, and librarians
- Collaborate with UC3 DevOps administrator and CDL Infrastructure staff to determine and implement effective utilization of cloud service provisioning, configuration management, managed deployment, release management, and system monitoring.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training and minimum of 5 years experience in software development
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skills to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Advanced skills associated with software specification, design, modification, implementation, and deployment, of large-scale (TB) online services.
- Experience using Java/J2SE, Ruby/Rails, or Python in the development and enhancement of complex online information systems.
- Demonstrated skill with relational databases (MySQL); able to design and modify database schema.
Demonstrated skill in providing advanced support to technical contacts and non-technical colleagues
The California Digital Library (CDL) is a collaborative effort of the ten campuses of the University of California. As a UC systemwide library, CDL provides services to and on behalf of the UC system in partnership with the UC campus libraries. As a globally-connected digital library, CDL occupies a unique position between the local UC campuses and the global digital library infrastructure. The primary user base for CDL services and programs includes UC faculty, students, and library staff. The CDL is a unit within the UC Office of the President, has a staff of 70+ and is located in downtown Oakland.
UC3 is a creative partnership bringing together the expertise and resources of the CDL, the ten UC campuses, and the broader international curation community. We foster collaborative analysis, projects, and solutions to ensure the long-term viability and usability of curated digital content. Examples of tools and services include Merritt, Dash (Data Publication), EZID, and Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool).
CDL welcomes and encourages diversity and seeks applications and nominations from individuals from underrepresented groups. CDL seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University of California, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Read the full job description and apply here: https://jobs.ucop.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=61881.