CDL Job Opening: Senior Software Developer
As a senior level applications programmer in the Publishing & Special Collections group at the California Digital Library, this position is responsible for the technical architecture, operations, and continued evolution of a publication management system in support of the University of California’s Open Access (OA) policies. The current system, comprised of a research information management system (Symplectic Elements) and an institutional repository (eScholarship), supports faculty participation in the UC Academic Senate OA policy. This year, the system will be expanded to implement the UC Presidential OA Policy, which covers all UC employees across the institution’s ten campuses. The incumbent will primarily serve as the technical lead for this project as it grows to its new scale, but specific responsibilities are likely to evolve over time.
- Help expand open access to the knowledge and research created by the UC academic community
- Design, build, and maintain complex systems that interface with all UC campuses, units, and labs
- As application owner for Symplectic Elements, coordinate support with vendor team and CDL product managers
- Lead development of an integrated publication management and institutional repository system
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training and minimum of 5 years experience in software development
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skills to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Experience with enterprise scale systems, such as directory services or human resources systems, in a distributed or federated environment
- Experience working with a vendor-hosted software product, including application administration level responsibilities
- Demonstrated Relational Database Management Systems skills; able to design and modify database schema
- Demonstrated skill in providing advanced support to technical contacts and non-technical colleagues
Compensation and benefits:
- Health Care, Dental, Vision
- Sick Leave
- UC Retirement System, 403(b), 457
- Academic work environment / 40 hour work week
The California Digital Library (CDL) is a collaborative effort of the ten campuses of the University of California. As a UC systemwide library, CDL provides services to and on behalf of the UC system in partnership with the UC campus libraries. As a globally-connected digital library, CDL occupies a unique position between the local UC campuses and the global digital library infrastructure. The primary user base for CDL services and programs includes UC faculty, students, and library staff. The CDL is a unit within the UC Office of the President, has a staff of 70+ and is located in downtown Oakland.
The CDL’s Publishing & Special Collections group develops and maintains production services that enable robust access to unique digital assets from the University of California (UC) and beyond. Through the development of advanced technologies and creative partnerships, we provide the UC scholarly community with innovative open access publication and distribution opportunities and aggregate world-class digital collections from libraries, archives, and museums throughout the State of California, serving an array of end users including researchers, scholars, students, and the general public.
CDL welcomes and encourages diversity and seeks applications and nominations from individuals from underrepresented groups. CDL seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University of California, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Read the full job description and apply here: https://jobs.ucop.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=61702