DMPTool Service Update: August 2015
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- New Template. We added a new template for NIH-Genomic Data Sharing; get the full report on the DMPTool blog. Users should also note that we renamed the existing NIH template “NIH-Generic” and created a drop-down list for the NIH modeled on the NSF list. Users can expect a proliferation of drop-down lists for other agencies as they continue to release requirements tailored to specific programs.
- Template Inventory. We’re constantly taking inventory to identify new requirements. Let us know if you hear anything! DOE, NIST, AHRQ, and counting are due for new or updated templates. We’ll notify you as soon as they’re active.
- Usage Statistics. We revised the API documentation on GitHub to make it easier to generate usage statistics. Check it out here. We’re also curious to hear what additional metrics would be useful to you. Submit your suggestions via the GitHub issue tracker.
- Bug fixes. 1) We replaced RTF with DOCX. RTF posed formatting difficulties since the beginning of DMPTool time and has not been maintained for several years so we decided to swap one Microsoft text file format for another. Users now have the option to export completed DMPs as DOCX, PDF, and HTML. In addition, we replaced the DMP Requirements templates on the Guidance page (https://dmptool.org/guidance) with DOCX to enable users to edit these files. 2) API bugs that involved adding an ID column for usage statisticss are fixed. 3) We’re still sorting out an issue with conflicting privacy policies that pertains to retrieving a list of plans from the API. At the moment, institutional administrators can only get a list of public plans, institutional plans, and private plans that they own/co-own. Our aim is to at least offer related attributes for all plans (e.g., funder, creation date)—we appreciate your continued patience while we reconcile the privacy and technical considerations.
There are now 168 participating institutions that have either configured their campus single signon or customized the DMPTool for their users. Welcome to the following new institutions since I joined the team on June 1 (through Aug 31)! A map of all participating organizations is available here.
University of Helsinki, Finland
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
University of Alabama, Birmingham
Western Carolina University
University of Wyoming
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Kent State University
Natural Resources Institute Finland
University of Maryland, College Park
DMPTool Service Description
The Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool) provides an easy to use interface that:
- Helps users create ready-to-use data management plans for specific funding agencies
- Meets funder requirements for data management plans
- Provides step-by-step instructions and guidance for how to manage data
- Provides information about resources and services available at your institution to help fulfill the data management requirements of your grant
DMPTool Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
Documentation and outreach materials: https://github.com/CDLUC3/dmptool/wiki
DMPTool Service Managers
Connect with the DMPTool
- Please contact us with any questions or general correspondence(Note that campus library contacts have been embedded in the DMPTool and campus users will be directed to a local library contact)
- Get status updates via the DMPTool blog: http://blog.dmptool.org/
- Read more about the code, the project, and contributing to development on theDMPTool GitHub site: https://github.com/CDLUC3/dmptool
- Log enhancements or bugs on theDMPTool GitHub Issues page: https://github.com/CDLUC3/dmptool/issues
- Check out our DMPTool Twitter account
Service Monitoring and Availability
Check CDL’s system status page at http://www.cdlib.org/contact/system.html