Merritt Service Update: September 2014
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- Dash Meeting. A meeting to discuss Dash was held at UCLA on Sept. 25, with participants from all UC campuses. (Merritt is the storage service behind Dash.) More information about the meeting, with slides and notes, is here: http://cdluc3.github.io/dash/dash-meeting-ucla/ and a summary of the meeting’s outcomes and next steps is available on the Data Pub blog: http://datapub.cdlib.org/2014/09/29/the-dash-partners-meeting/.
- SDSC Storage. We have started to replicate content from our storage at SDSC to our new storage node at UCLA’s IDRE. Once the content is fully replicated, we will monitor its state using MD5 and keep it in case of problems with the files at SDSC. Should the service at SDSC experience problems, we will switch to UCLA quickly and transparently.
- Shellshock Patches. We patched our servers in response to the Shellshock bug that was discovered in late September. We continue to monitor announcements about security vulnerabilities and analyze how they might affect our infrastructure, and work closely with our CDL and UCOP ITS colleagues.
- Planned maintenance. The maintenance on Sept. 14 took longer than anticipated. We had announced the outage would be approximately 30 seconds, but the service was unavailable for over 2 hours. Part of the problem involved some errors in scripts to start and stop the service; they are now corrected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Merritt Service Description
Merritt is a production level service that provides the UC community with an easy to use tool to manage, archive, and share their content. Content can be deposited and managed via a user-interface or an API.
Merritt Service Manager
- Perry Willett firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us with any questions or general correspondence.
Merritt Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
Service Monitoring and Availability
Check CDL’s system status page at http://www.cdlib.org/contact/system.html.