DataUp Service Update: June 2013
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- The DataUp project received a 12-month grant from the National Science Foundation to improve on the current feature set. The funds are a supplemental grant to the DataONE project (http://www.dataone.org) and will be used to ensure repositories connected to DataONE infrastructure can use DataUp to help their researchers manage and archive their tabular data.
- Strasser presented on DataUp at the Society for Scholarly Publication 2013 Meeting on 6 June. The presentation is available at http://www.slideshare.net/carlystrasser/making-data-dynamic-views-from-uc3-cdl.
- Strasser presented and demonstrated DataUp at the iEvoBio 2013 Meeting. Slides available at http://www.slideshare.net/carlystrasser/strasser-dataup-lt.
- DataUp was selected to receive a 2013 NDSA Innovation Award. For more information, visit http://cdlib.org/2013/06/05/dataup-honored-with-ndsa-innovation-award/.
DataUp Service Description
The DataUp add-in and web application help researchers organize, manage, archive, and share their tabular data. The major functionality of both tools is to guide researchers through the following:
- Carry out a best practices check to determine if there are issues present that might make use or interpretation of the data difficult
- Create metadata in standardized EML (Ecological Metadata Language) format
- Describe the attributes (i.e. columns) of the dataset in standard EML format
- Obtain a unique identifier for the dataset
- Generate a data citation
- Post the data and associated metadata to a data repository
DataUp Service Manager
DataUp Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
The most current DataUp information is on the website (http://dataup.cdlib.org). This includes frequently asked questions and instructions on accessing and using DataUp. Other relevant sites include the code site (https://bitbucket.org/dataup/main) and the web application site (http://dataup.org).