Merritt Service Update: February 2013
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- We are migrating the backend Merritt server environment from physical servers to Virtual Machines (VM). All UCOP services are moving to VMs, and we believe that this will result in more stable services. We expect this work to be complete in June 2013.
- We are also continuing to work on enhancements to Merritt’s underlying infrastructure, including:
- extending the MySQL-based Inventory service to improve search and display of Merritt content
- migrating collections from the legacy Digital Preservation Repository (DPR) to Merritt
- transitioning storage infrastructure to San Diego Supercomputer Center’s cloud storage
We are finalizing a roadmap summarizing high-level development and programmatic priorities for Merritt for 2013, and will be posting the information this month on the UC3 Curation Wiki.
- The open-source code base for a number of Merritt micro-services (Storage, Ingest, and Fixity) is now available on BitBucket: https://bitbucket.org/merritt/. The code base for other micro-services, along with documentation, will be added as we complete packaging them for distribution.
- The Merritt METS Feeder ingest process has been updated; identifiers encoded within submitted METS files — or within descriptive metadata records, embedded within the METS — will not be automatically recognized and handled as unique, local identifiers within Merritt. Previously, institutions submitted METS records with local identifiers that were not necessarily unique (e.g., collection or call numbers) causing submission errors.
- On Thursday February 28 at 1:29 PM (PT), there was a general UCOP (UC Office of the President) network outage which impacted connectivity for CDL operations and services including Merritt. At 2:33 PM, we received word from the UCOP systems office that the UCOP network was coming back online. A second interruption occurred around 3 PM, although that outage was resolved within a few minutes.This outage did not have any effect on data stored in Merritt. There was some impact on content being submitted at the time of the outage. We have addressed those issues and have ingested all the submissions that were affected. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns about this network outage.
Merritt Service Description
Merritt is a production level service that provides the UC community with an easy to use tool to manage, archive, and share their content. Content can be deposited and managed via a user-interface or an API.
Merritt Service Managers
Please send any questions or general correspondence to email@example.com.
Merritt Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
Service Monitoring and Availability
Check CDL’s system status page at http://www.cdlib.org/contact/system.html.