EZID Service Update
EZID (easy-eye-dee) is a production service that makes it simple for digital object producers (researchers and others) to obtain and manage long-term identifiers for their digital content. EZID makes objects easier to access, re-use and verify. As a result, it also makes it possible to increase citations, to build on previous work, to conduct new research, and avoid duplicating previous efforts.
EZID Service Manager
Joan Starr firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
Service guidelines: http://www.cdlib.org/services/uc3/docs/EZIDServiceGuidelines.pdf
Joan Starr gave three presentations on data management, data citation, metadata and EZID, at the American Library Association Midwinter meeting January 21st and 22nd. Approximately 200 librarians attended the combined sessions.
EZID Partners and Clients
Current EZID clients include academic institutions, government agencies, non-profit organizations and a commercial entity. New additions since last update are in bold.
- UC Berkeley Library (on behalf of the UC Berkeley campus)
- UC Los Angeles (on behalf of the UC LA campus)
- UC San Diego Library (on behalf of the UC San Diego campus)
- UC Santa Cruz Library
- UC Santa Barbara Library (on behalf of the UC Santa Barbara campus)
- American Astronomical Society (http://www.aas.org )
- Centre national de documentation pédagogique (http://www.cndp.fr/)
- Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research (http://ciser.cornell.edu/)
- The Digital Archaeological Record (tDAR) (http://www.tdar.org/)
- Dryad Data Repository (http://datadryad.org/ )
- Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) Data Stewardship & Preservation Cluster (http://www.esipfed.org/)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (http://www.fhcrc.org/)
- LabArchives (http://www.labarchives.com/)
- The National Center for Atmospheric Research (http://ncar.ucar.edu/)
- National Atmospheric and Space Administration (NASA)’s Goddard Space Flight Center (http://earthdata.nasa.gov/)
- Qualitative Data Repository, CQRM (http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/moynihan/cqrm/About_CQRM/
- USGS/Earth Sciences Data Clearinghouse <formerly National Biological Info. Infrastructure)
One additional UC Library is in the process of acquiring EZID: UC Merced.
- Since the last report, EZID implemented a new API feature: EZID Status Checking. This is helpful for EZID clients who have automated workflows. Being able to checking system status programmatically can be important.
- In January, new EZID outreach materials were made available on the EZID website (http://www.cdlib.org/services/uc3/ezid/). Now, the materials include a customizable postcard as well as a flyer so that libraries that offer EZID as a service can add local contact information as desired.
- The EZID user interface redesign project continues on schedule. Expected completion is in the 1st quarter of 2012.
Since June 25, 2010, EZID has had an uptime performance 99.9%. Check EZID’s system status at http://www.cdlib.org/contact/system.html.