UC Image Service News: ARTstor

By Lena Zentall, CDL UC Image Service Manager

The ARTstor license is now systemwide

Beginning August 1, 2007, five additional campuses – Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, and Santa Barbara are joining the existing ARTstor subscribers (Berkeley, Los Angeles, San Diego and Santa Cruz) in a systemwide ARTstor license negotiated by CDL; San Francisco is not participating at this time.  CDL paid the one-time archive capital fee and the annual access fee until January 1, 2008 for the new campuses.

ARTstor is an ever-growing digital library of over 500,000 images of art, architecture and archeology from a wide range of cultures and time periods to support teaching and learning in the humanities and social sciences. Learn more about ARTstor’s collections.

Multi-disciplinary

ARTstor publishes handouts by discipline on their web site highlighting the relevance and value of the ARTstor Digital Library across a wide range of disciplines: African-American Studies, American Studies, Anthropology, Architecture & Architectural History, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, Design & Decorative Studies, History, Language &Literature, Literary Studies, Medieval Studies, Music History, Photography, Religious Studies, Renaissance Studies, and Theater & Dance.

How can I access ARTstor?
Go to http://www.artstor.org and click “Search and Browse for Images” in the lower right to enter the ARTstor Library.

What are the technical requirements?
ARTstor is an online, web-based resource that runs on a Mac or PC and requires a high-speed Internet connection.  Please see the technical requirements for supported browsers and operating systems.

How can I get training on ARTstor?
ARTstor offers daily, one-hour [http://artstor.webex.com/] sessions via WebEx for individuals.  Topics covered include 1) Introduction to ARTstor, 2) Registered User Features, 3) Instructor-Level Features, and 4) Creating presentations with Offline Image Viewer. A computer (Mac or PC), high-speed Internet connection and telephone are required.

ARTstor quickstart guides and online help documentation may also be helpful.  Learn more about ARTstor training options.

How can I get support?
ARTstor User Services
888-278-0079 (USA only) / 212-500-2400
userservices@artstor.org

How can I stay informed?
ARTstor sends email newsletters every two weeks with important updates on topics such as newly added content and features, tips and tricks, notices about system outages, etc.  To subscribe, send a blank email to join-artstor-announce@lists.artstor.org.

Campus Visits in Fall 2007

ARTstor, along with CDL, is planning campus visits in early fall 2007 to demonstrate ARTstor to faculty and to meet with campus stakeholders for training and to discuss implementation options such as integrating campus courseware with ARTstor.

Coming Soon – University of California Shared Images
ARTstor will be hosting the University of California Shared Image Collection, individual collections managed by UC visual resources curators, which will be accessible to faculty and students across all campuses that subscribe to ARTstor.  While initially focused on providing images for teaching within the Arts and Humanities, the UC Shared Images will be useful campus-wide. UC Santa Cruz, in making their collection available to other UC campuses in ARTstor, is the first to participate in the University of California Shared Image Collection. Other campuses will add collections to ARTstor, contributing an estimated 100,000 images over the next year.  CDL will add the CDL-licensed collections to ARTstor this fall, which include Saskia and Hartill.  All of these collections, developed individually in ARTstor over the next year, will comprise the larger University of California Shared Image Collection.

UC faculty and students will be able to seamlessly search across UC Shared Images and the ARTstor collections.