DataUp Service Update: March 2013
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- Strasser provided a demonstration of DataUp to attendees at the Beyond the PDF 2 Conference, held in Amsterdam.
- Strasser submitted a paper on DataUp and the DMPTool to the Research Data Management
Infrastructure Meeting in Washington DC. The PDF is available here.
- Strasser presented a webinar to the USGS community on DataUp; slides are available here.
- Strasser attended UC Merced Library’s Research Week Events and presented on DataUp; slides are available here.
- We had an intern, Sarina Sinick, from the University of Illinois working at the CDL on DataUp as part of the GSLIS Alternative Spring Break (http://www.lis.illinois.edu/academics/practicum/asb). She focused on improving the DataUp technical documentation.
- We reorganized the DataUp BitBucket site to improve readability and usability.
DataUp Service Description
The DataUp add-in and web application help researchers organize, manage, archive, and share their tabular data. The major functionality of both tools is to guide researchers through the following:
- Carry out a best practices check to determine if there are issues present that might make use or interpretation of the data difficult
- Create metadata in standardized EML (Ecological Metadata Language) format
- Describe the attributes (i.e. columns) of the dataset in standard EML format
- Obtain a unique identifier for the dataset
- Generate a data citation
- Post the data and associated metadata to a data repository
DataUp Service Manager
DataUp Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
The most current DataUp information is on the website (http://dataup.cdlib.org). This includes frequently asked questions and instructions on accessing and using DataUp. Other relevant sites include the code site (https://bitbucket.org/dataup/main) and the web application site (http://dataup.org).