HathiTrust is a collaborative partnership and digital library founded in 2008 by the research libraries of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) and the University of California. The HathiTrust formed from the desire to create a secure and enduring academic home for mass digitized research library collections resulting from partnerships with organizations such as the Open Content Alliance, Google, and Internet Archive.
The UC Libraries are active contributors to HathiTrust, with many activities supported or coordinated by CDL. CDL and UC Library staff actively participate in, or lead, advisory and working groups and are involved in other volunteer initiatives established to improve discovery and access, preservation, and quality of the HathiTrust Digital Library.
Benefits of Participation
Participation in HathiTrust offers UC:
- Greater service to users through combined content and access to millions of volumes digitized by other institutions.
- Deeper support for scholarly access to mass digitized materials, including the abilities to browse and facet search results, perform full-text searches across all or selected bodies of content, and save items to targeted collections.
- New opportunities for scholars to conduct computational research across digitized texts within the HathiTrust Research Center.
- Reduced costs resulting from sharing access and preservation services with multiple partners.
- The ability to pioneer, develop, and share technologies to help in the administration and management of digital content.
CDL’s Mass Digitization Team manages digitized content submission from UC campuses to the HathiTrust repository.
Zephir ingests, stores, and manages bibliographic metadata from HathiTrust contributors and exports this data for use in other HathiTrust systems, including the ingest framework and online catalog.
HathiTrust CDL Team
|Ewing, Renata||Service Manager, HathiTrust & Digital Content||
|Fogel, Paul||Service Manager, Google Books & Content Digitization||
|Stine, Kathryn||Senior Product Manager, Digitization & Digital Content||