Reporting VDX problems
Beginning October 1, 2013, the UC ILL units will have a faster way to resolve problems or questions about Request/VDX.
Where to Report a Problem
UC ILL staff will stop using ResourceSharingHelp@cdlib.org (this goes to CDL) for VDX issues.
Instead, they will begin using the “Report a Problem” link located on the left hand navigation bar in VDX to report any issues with VDX/ZPORTAL (aka “My ILL Requests). The link is available as long as VDX is online and the staff member is logged into VDX.
The CDL and the OCLC/VDX teams will meet every week to review each report and make sure your needs are being met.
What Happens When You Report a Problem
When the issue is submitted the following will happen:
- An email will be sent to the email address the staff member entered in the contact details
- An email will be sent to OCLC Support
- The email will be picked up by the OCLC Support system and assigned a Service Request (SR) number
- An email with the SR number will be sent to the email address the staff member entered in the contact details
- An email with the SR number will be sent to the OCLC/VDX support team
- The OCLC/VDX support team will work with the staff member to resolve the issue via email and/or phone
- If the reported problem is not with VDX but with another OCLC product, the OCLC/VDX support team will assign the SR to the OCLC staff responsible for supporting that product. The OCLC/VDX support team will continue to work with UCILL staff until it is resolved.
- Once the issue is resolved the OCLC/VDX support team will close the SR.
- If the reported problem is not with VDX but with a UC-supported solution (such as Request/PIR), OCLC/VDX will notify CDL and close the SR. CDL will create an internal trouble ticket and work with the UC staff member to resolve the problem.
- Be sure not to use your back button; it may create duplicate tickets.
- There is an open dialog box for describing the issue or request. This box allows a message of unlimited characters.
How to Report Problem When VDX is Down
Since the “Report a Problem” link is only available when the VDX system is online, there will be times where staff users will need to contact OCLC Support directly. When VDX is not available, staff should follow these procedures:
- Email these three addresses at OCLC: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In the subject line enter “UCILL VDX Report a Problem”
- In the body enter the problem and your contact details in case OCLC needs to contact you via phone.
- If the system is down after 3pm PT, follow-up with a phone call to 800-848-5878
- Tell the OCLC Support person that the UCILL VDX system is down
- The OCLC/VDX Support team will follow up with an email and/or a phone call to the reporting staff member and notify CDL staff
- Once the issue is resolved the OCLC/VDX support team will close the SR
What if You Sent It to VDXTrouble-L Instead
No stress! This date of October 1, 2013 is not an absolute – this is a rollout of the new process. If you send a request or problem to ResourceSharingHelp@cdlib.org, the CDL/Resource Sharing team will report it to OCLC as quickly as possible and send you a gentle reminder of the new procedure.
What if You are Unsure Who to Contact
Email CDL/Resource Sharing at ResourceSharingHelp@cdlib.org. CDL/Resource Sharing will handle or route it to the appropriate department at OCLC.
If you have questions or comments that everyone can learn from, please send them to UCVDX-L@ucop.edu.
If you want to give CDL feedback or want to make a private comment, connect to us using ResourceSharingHelp@cdlib.org. We want to hear from you!