Catherine Mitchell Staff Profile
Program / Service
Publishing, Archives, and Digitization
Director of Publishing, Archives, and Digitization
Catherine Mitchell is responsible for overseeing the strategic planning, development, and operational management of CDL’s Publishing, Archives, and Digitization program, which provides the University of California research community with innovative open access publishing and distribution solutions, and aggregates world-class digital collections from libraries, archives, and museums throughout the State of California, serving an array of end users including researchers, scholars, students, and the general public. Program services include eScholarship (UC’s Open Access IR/Publishing platform, with 85+ journals), Calisphere (an open gateway to over one million digitized historical images, texts and recordings), and the Google Books/HathiTrust projects. Catherine is also Operations Director of UC’s Office of Scholarly Communication and, in this capacity, is particularly engaged in questions of use, value, authorship, and professional legitimacy.
Ph.D., English Literature, UC Berkeley
A.B., English Literature, University of Chicago
Catherine joined the CDL in 2006 as Manager of Publishing Services, moving to Director of the Publishing Group in 2007. Since then, her program has grown to include the Digital Special Collections and Mass Digitization groups. Catherine’s experience in scholarly publishing includes time spent on the other side of the academic house as a scholar of nineteenth-century British literature while in graduate school at UC Berkeley.
Committees / Affiliations
- HathiTrust Program Steering Committee (2021-24)
- Crossref, Treasurer (2021), Executive Committee (2020-present), Board Member (2018-present)
- Library Publishing Coalition (LPC), President (2016-18), Board Member (2014-20)
- University of California Office of Scholarly Communication, Operations Director (2015-present)
- University of California Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC), Consultant (ongoing)