The Request Service
Use the Request button to automatically place an interlibrary request for materials found in Melvyl and in UC licensed journal article citation databases (via UC-eLinks).
Request is a key component of the UC/CDL goal of using digital tools and services to share resources and to realize the goal of “One University, One Library.” The service helps to improve the overall availability of the entire University of California’s library holdings to the UC Community.
Who can use the service
Currently UC Faculty, Students, and Staff can use Request for the convenience of placing requests for books and journal articles from UC Libraries automatically while using Melvyl and UC licensed journal article citation databases. Users are encouraged to contact their local library’s Interlibrary Loan offices for information about local services.
Using Request in Melvyl
You can request items automatically from Melvyl. Request is also available in many UC licensed journal article citation databases via UC-eLinks.
When you display results from a search, one of your options is to request items. Items may be delivered to you if you use your campus library document delivery service, otherwise you will be notified when the item arrives and may pick it up at the library.
When using the Request button you will go through a sequence of steps to ensure the selection and requesting of materials. Minimally, after searching and displaying results in your search to use Request you will:
- Select items to request by checking the selection box next to each item
- Click on the Request button while in Melvyl
- Enter into an online form your campus, preferred delivery location, Library user ID, PIN (if applicable), preferred method of delivery, document delivery service (if applicable), and other relevant information
- Review a list of items you have requested
- Read and accept a very brief copyright statement
- Review messages about items available in other formats and locations
- Review a Request confirmation message
Note that you may receive messages during the Request process that inform you about local availability of the item(s) or your authorization to use the service. Contact a librarian if you have questions about the service or process.
Where to go for more information
Further information about the Request service, as well as other interlibrary loan services, is available at your local University of California library.
If you have problems accessing or using CDL collections and services or have questions, you may contact the staff of the California Digital Library in one of the following ways:
For immediate assistance, call the CDL Helpline:
- (510) 987-0555
- Callers with TDD equipment, please call 1-800-735-2929 in California for the telephone relay operator.
Use the feedback button at the top or bottom of this page to send questions and comments to the CDL. While in Melvyl use the link at the bottom of each page to access the feedback form.