The purpose of this document is to:
- Guide the decisions that must be made during the process of implementing, maintaining, and expanding the functionality of the UC-eLinks service menu.
- Establish values that will raise the quality of UC-eLinks services.
- Inform outreach and instructional activities.
Services that are offered through UC-eLinks:
- Links to full text in ejournals and databases
- Links to holdings
- Links to Request
- Links to help
- Links to other services
Appropriate advisory groups will guide planning for the expansion of the services offered through the UC-eLinks service menu.
- The UC-eLinks icon will appear in a visually consistent manner across all UC licensed databases and Melvyl®. If the system cannot support the icon, then a text link will be used.
- In UC licensed databases, the UC-eLinks icon will be displayed with each record in the results set.
- Links to full text will be made at the most specific level possible (article, issue, volume, title) and with as few clicks as possible.
- The sequence of the categories of services, within the UC-eLinks menu will be consistent across all UC instances of UC-eLinks. As services are added, a revised sequence of service categories will be determined and applied. Services are ordered by their proximity to the desired document with the most readily-available services listed first (e.g., electronic full text, then print holdings, then request via ILL, etc.) All services will display in one menu window.
- It should always be possible to navigate back to the results list from the UC-eLinks menu; currently, this is best satisfied by having UC-eLinks menu always open as a new window when possible.
- The UC-eLinks interface will conform, as much as possible, to the practices described in the W3C web content accessibility guidelines, the federal section 508 guidelines.