DataUp Service Update: October 2013
Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- The DataUp project team is reviewing applications to hire a full‐time developer to work on DataUp
Version 2, to be located at the San Diego Supercomputing Center. This new phase of the project is
funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation, in partnership with the DataONE
- Team members attended the DataONE All Hands Meeting in Albuquerque, New Mexico. At this
meeting, Borda demonstrated the new DataUp tool to attendees and collected feedback on the user
interface, features, and new developments.
- Due to Internet certificate complications, the DataUp web application was unavailable for three
weeks. These issues have since been resolved and we do not anticipate any further interruptions in
- The DataUp Twitter account (@DataUpCDL) has now been folded into the general UC3 Twitter
account. Follow @UC3CDL for up‐to‐date information on DataUp and our other services.
DataUp Service Description
The DataUp add-in and web application help researchers organize, manage, archive, and share their tabular data. The major functionality of both tools is to guide researchers through the following:
- Carry out a best practices check to determine if there are issues present that might make use or interpretation of the data difficult
- Create metadata in standardized EML (Ecological Metadata Language) format
- Describe the attributes (i.e. columns) of the dataset in standard EML format
- Obtain a unique identifier for the dataset
- Generate a data citation
- Post the data and associated metadata to a data repository
DataUp Service Manager
Carly Strasser email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DataUp Training Materials, Guides, FAQs and Webinars
The most current DataUp information is on the website (http://dataup.cdlib.org). This includes frequently asked questions and instructions on accessing and using DataUp. Other relevant sites include the code site (https://bitbucket.org/dataup/main) and the web application site (http://dataup.org).